A page a day! How hard can it be…? The Stranger With My Face 10 X 10 Short Script Challenge returns in 2013!
- The Challenge is open to registrations from 5 February 2013;
- Challengers will be emailed with the special theme or code word for 2013 on 13 February 2013, at midnight (Australian Eastern Daylight Time)
- Registered participants will have 10 days to come up with a bold, brilliant short horror script suitable for indie production;
- Creative writers from other forms are encouraged to enter, as are new writers and experienced screenwriters;
- The judges will be looking for strong stories, thoughtful representations of gender and an awareness of genre traditions;
- The winning script will be given a live reading during Stranger With My Face 2013;
- All scripts will receive feedback from the high profile judging panel;
- All entrants will be eligible to receive prizes, such as Final Draft software, horror DVDs, books, industry consultations;
- Interstate and international participants are welcome to take part.
This year there will be four major awards given by our judges, screenwriting duo SP Krause and Shayne Armstrong, writer/director Ursula Dabrowsky and writer/script editor/story producer Vicki Madden:
- The Deep Red Award – for the Best Script overall (comes with a trophy!);
- The Miss Havisham Award – for the best script that portrays gender in an innovative, balanced and/or original way;
- The Virgin Scream Award – for the best script by someone who’s writing in the horror genre for the first time;
- The Beyond the Grave Award – for a professional writer from another field, such as a poet, playwright or novelist.
When the Challenge begins you’ll receive an email notifying you of the theme or special something that must be included for 2013. Hopefully this ensures the script will be written from scratch to final draft between February 13 and 23.
- The script must be original, your own work, and not under offer to any other organisation, festival… or nominated for an Oscar.
- There is no registration fee. Follow the link below to register. It’s an easy form and won’t take you long to fill out.
- The script remains the intellectual property of the author.
- The completed script should not be more than 10 pages in length or 10 minutes of screen time.
- The script needs to fit the broadly defined notion of a ‘horror film’.
- The film must be a response to the specified theme for 2013, which you’ll receive on 13 Feb if you register.
- A simply brilliant script might win more than one prize, but never more than 2!
COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION FORM HERE
Once you submit the registration form you will receive an email confirming your place. At one minute after midnight (when else?) in the very early morning of 13 February you will receive the 2013 theme.
Scripts need to submitted (either as word docs or pdfs) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 am on 23 February (ie. midnight at the end of the day that was 22 Feb).
Please write “SCRIPT SUBMISSION – TITLE” in the subject line.